Vangie Williams is the Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 1st Congressional District of Virginia. If she wins, Vangie Williams will be the first African-American to hold the seat in this district. Her work centers on national security, managing critical infrastructure projects, and advancing women’s empowerment and legislation.
Background and Achievements
Vangie is a proven leader with a work ethic that is recognized throughout her professional networks, community and volunteer efforts. Her career in high-level project management includes working in aerospace, construction, defense, contracting, government operations, IT and national security. Her career highlights include: creating the TSA program and hiring nearly 70,000 airport security screeners after 9/11, being tapped to get the space flight program on track after the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, and projects such as One-Net, Hubble Space Telescope, Washington Convention Center and Camden Yards. Throughout her career she has obtained multiple degrees such as an A.A.S. in Construction Management from Montgomery College, B.B.A. in Federal Acquisitions and Contract Management from Strayer University, B.S. in History from Ashford University, and D.BA in Project Management from Walden University.
She is also an activist for the working class and is committed to working with several organizations such as the League of Women Voters, NOW, LGBTQ Democrats, Sierra Club, NAACP, and ACLU.
Positions on Key Issues
- Advocate for affordable healthcare
- Supporter of protecting veterans and their mental health
- Advocate for equal educational opportunities
- Promotes common sense environmental policy and long-term environmental solutions
- Supporter of common sense gun laws
- Supporter of family choice, protecting women from workplace discrimination, reproductive freedom, equal pay, and equal educational and employment opportunities
- Advocates for DACA and immigration reform
- Champion for civil rights and LGBTQ rights
Prospects & Opponents
Vangie Williams is running against Republican incumbent Rob Wittman who is a five-term incumbent who won his last election with about 60 percent of the vote. Rob Wittman is a conservative wealthy Republican who uses his power and influence to support anti-immigrant and anti-feminist legislation.
- Feminist Majority
- Emerge America
- Equal Vote Local
- Mom’s Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate
- American Women’s Party
- Democrats Work for America
- National Women's Political Caucus