Mike Levin, an attorney and environmental activist, is running for Congress to represent the state of California in the 49th district. He won the Democratic primary and now will face a Republican newcomer in the open seat in the general elections. Incumbent Republican representative Darrell Issa is not seeking re-election, but he has held the seat for nine terms.
Background and Achievements
Mike Levin was raised in South Orange County, California. He completed his undergraduate degree at Stanford University, and then enhanced his education by receiving his JD at Duke University School of Law. He has worked particularly on environmental issues. His passion for clean energy is something that he wishes to bring to Washington DC. He has served on the board for the Center for Sustainable Energy. For his outstanding work, Levin was named to the OC Metro 40 under 40. Levin has been an active member of the local National Organization for Women chapter for years.
Positions on Key Issues
- Supports the Affordable Care Act
- Advocates for high quality education as well as affordable college
- Supports raising the federal minimum wage
- Advocates for women’s rights
- Supports LGBT rights
- Advocates for an assault weapons ban
- Supports immigration reform
Prospects & Opponents
Mike Levin won the Democratic primary on June 5, defeating 3 other candidates. In the November 6 general elections, he will face off against Diane Harkey, the Republican candidate. Diane Harkey has the endorsement of the current incumbent, Darrell Issa. Mike Levin was added to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s Red to Blue list, as he has a real chance to flip this long-held Republican seat. This high-stakes race was rated Lean Democratic by the Cook Political Report. Levin has been substantially out-funding Harkey. Rated a Lean Democratic Seat by the Cook Political Report. In his last race, Issa only won by 0.5% of the vote and only some 1600 votes.
- Feminist Majority
- National Organization for Women (NOW)
- California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV)
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus BOLD PAC
- Congressional Progressive Caucus PAC
- Democracy for America (DFA)
- Democratic Women of South Orange County
- Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate of Distinction
- Indivisible Ocean Hills
- Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC)
- Sierra Club