Mazie Hirono is running for re-election to the U.S. Senate in Hawaii and is Hawaii’s first woman Senator.
Background and Achievements
Before running for the Senate seat, Hirono was elected to the House of Representatives for Hawaii’s second district for three terms (from 2002 to 2010). Hirono has been a strong supporter of women’s issues in the House and has 100% ratings from both NARAL ProChoice America and Planned Parenthood.
- Deputy Attorney General, Antitrust Division, Department of Justice
- Hawaii State Representative (1981 – 1994)
- Lieutenant Governor of Hawaii (1994 – 2002)
- Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Member of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Member of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
Positions on Key Issues
- Supports women’s equality, reproductive rights and healthcare
- Supports the Violence Against Women Act and the Equal Rights Amendment
- Opposes discrimination of the LGBT community in employment and public schools
- Received a 100% rating by Planned Parenthood (2017) and NARAL Pro-Choice America (2016)
- Received a 100% rating by the League of Conservation Voters, indicating that she supports sound environmental laws and policies
- Strong supporter of Title IX.
Prospects & Opponents
Senator Hirono is projected to win the Senate seat. No opponent, Democratic or Republican, has come forward to run against her yet.