NH Governor Maggie Hassan is challenging the re-election of the incumbent Republican Senator Kelly Ayotte. Hassan is a progressive Democrat who is a strong support of women’s reproductive rights and equality. Ayotte is a right-wing Republican who is against abortion except in limited cases such as rape, incest, or medical emergency and has voted several times to defund Planned Parenthood.
Background and Achievements
Governor Hassan is a graduate of Brown University (1980) and Northeastern University School of Law (1985). As Governor, Hassan signed into law the NH’s Paycheck Fairness Act to reduce the gender wage gap. She fought successfully to restore family planning funds that had been cut and opposed efforts to defund Planned Parenthood. As governor she has taken on fighting the epidemic levels of opioid and heroin addiction and passed comprehensive bipartisan substance abuse legislation. She increased funding for community based mental health care. She has fought successfully for affordable higher education and froze — for the first time in 25 years — state tuition costs at NH universities and reduced tuition at state community colleges. Hassan also signed into law the Care Act that supports caregivers for seniors.
Positions on Key Issues
- Identifies as a “Fierce advocate for women’s access to reproductive health care”
- Protects Medicare and oppose privatization or voucher schemes for Medicare
- Fights efforts to undermine Roe v. Wade or to fund family planning
- Protects Social Security and efforts to privatize it
- Works to improve the Affordable Care Act
- Works to strengthen gun background check system and to close loopholes
Prospects & Opponents
The Hassan vs. Ayotte match-up is considered a toss-up. Ayotte is polling on the average with only 45% support of the voters. Hassan is polling in the low 40 percentiles. Frequently the difference is within the margin of error. Both candidates have high name recognition and both have won statewide races.
- Feminist Majority
- Emily's List
- Planned Parenthood Action Committee
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee
- Hillary Clinton
- Population Connection Action Fund
- Daily Kos