Lizzie Pannill Fletcher is a native Houstonian running against incumbent Republican John Culberson. Texas’ 7th district, located in central Houston, has been represented by a Republican since the 1970s. The district voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016.
Background and Achievements
Lizzie is a Houston lawyer and advocate. Following her 1997 graduation from Kenyon College, Lizzie moved back to Houston and worked at various city landmarks, including the Alley Theatre. In 2000, she helped create Planned Parenthood Young Leaders, a group which trained young Texans to lead the fight for women’s health. Following her local work, Lizzie went to law school, where she graduated in 2006 before joining Houston’s Vinson & Elkins firm. She later joined AZA, where she was their first woman partner. Her legal work is unbelievable: she has been an advocate for young Houstonians throughout her entire career, leading to recognition from Texas SuperLawyers and the Best Lawyers in America.
Positions on Key Issues
- Supports all women’s health issues, including funding Planned Parenthood and access to safe and affordable healthcare;
- Supports common-sense gun control laws, including repealing the Dickey Amendment, which prohibits the CDC from researching guns;
- Supports expanding clean-energy jobs in Houston, an oil-driven city;
- Supports expansion of Medicare;
- Supports the DREAM Act and immigration reform, does not support the border wall.
Prospects & Opponents
Fletcher is running against an incredibly wealthy Republican, John Culberson. Culberson is one of Trump’s biggest allies and is an avid advocate against women. Recent polling has placed her only two points behind Culberson, a number within the margin of error. With your support, Lizzie could easily win this district.
- Feminist Majority
- EMILY's List
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund
- Houston GLBT Political Caucus
- Harris County Tejano Democrats
- End Citizens United
- CWA Local 6222