Lauren Underwood, a registered nurse, is running for Congress to represent the state of Illinois in the 14thdistrict. She won the Democratic primary in March, defeating 6 other candidates. Now, she will face off the incumbent Republican Congressman Randy Hultgren in the November 6 general elections.
Background and Achievements
Lauren Underwood was raised in Naperville, Illinois. She graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing before continuing her education at Johns Hopkins University, where she received her Master in Public Health. As a nurse, and being diagnosed with a heart condition, Lauren understands the importance of affordable healthcare. President Obama appointed her to serve as a Senior Advisor at the United States Department of Health and Human Services. She currently works as a Senior Director of Strategy and Regulatory Affairs at Next Level Health.
Positions on Key Issues
- Supports women’s rights and reproductive healthcare;
- Supports the DREAM Act;
- Advocates for the reduction of gun violence;
- Supports the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act;
- Advocates for high quality public education.
Prospects & Opponents
Lauren Underwood defeated six other Democratic candidates in the March primary. The incumbent Republican Congressman Randy Hultgren, who is endorsed by the Illinois Federation for Right to Life, has been a US Representative in Illinois’ 14th congressional district since 2011. His political positions have been in line with President Trump’s positions 97.3% of the time. This very competitive race has been rated as Lean Republican by the Cook Political Report.
- Feminist Majority
- Chicago Tribune
- Daily Herald
- EMILY's List
- Off the Sidelines
- The Arena
- Congressional Black Caucus
- The Collective Political Action Committee
- Higher Heights for America PAC
- Political Action Committee: National Organization for Women
- The Resurgent Left
- Square One Politics
- We Can Lead Change Fox Valley
- Women Under Forty Political Action Committee
- Vote Pro Choice
- Project 100
- 314 Action
- End Citizens United
- American Nurses Association PAC
- Move On
- Win Back Your State