Katie Porter is a law professor at the University of California Irvine who is challenging incumbent conservative Republican U.S. Representative Mimi Walters.
Background and Achievements
Porter attended Harvard Law School and has spent years as a consumer advocate and public interest attorney. She has fought Wall Street banks, is an expert in consumer protection and was one of the first to identify Wall Street predatory practices which were targeting homeowners. She was appointed by then Attorney General Kamala Harris to ensure that California banks paid homeowners the billions of dollars that they were owed. She helped pass federal credit card protections for families, working closely with her former law school professor, Senator Elizabeth Warren. Porter has three children and is a den mom for her son’s cub scout pack.
Positions on Key Issues
- Advocates for women’s reproductive rights, including access to birth control and abortion
- Believes in universal health coverage and supports Medicare for all
- Will not take contributions from oil, gas and coal industry and pledges to prioritize health and climate over fossil fuel industry profits
- Supports DACA
- Supports worker protections and defending their right to organize
Prospects & Opponents
Porter is challenging incumbent conservative Republican U.S. Representative Mimi Walters. Representative Walters helped create Trumpcare and has voted for it every time it has come up for a vote – over 40 times. Walters also does not support the Dream Act and is against a woman’s right to make decisions about her own body. The Cook Report rates this race as Lean Republican. Porter won her Democratic primary.
- Feminist Majority
- EMILY's List
- Senator Kamala Harris
- Senator Elizabeth Warren
- The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence