Elaine is challenging incumbent Republican Scott Taylor to represent Virginia’s second congressional district. Elaine has demonstrated that she can fight for women both abroad and domestically, having recently retired from a twenty-year stint in the Navy.
Background and Achievements
Elaine first enlisted in the Navy when she was just seventeen years old, where she served as a Surface Warfare Officer and nuclear engineer. After her retirement in 2017, she founded the Mermaid Factory, a store which uses local products to create model mermaids and has donated $50,000 of their profits to Virginia charities.
Positions on Key Issues
- Strongly supports women’s rights, including equal pay, ending workplace harassment, and a woman’s right to choose
- Gun control, including a ban on the sale of assault weapons, universal background checks, and repealing the Dickey Amendment, which prevents CDC funds from researching gun control
- Expanding access to public education
- Protecting Medicare and social security access for Virginians
Prospects & Opponents
She outraised her primary competitor by over $400,000 and is the most qualified candidate for this seat. She won her primary race with over 60% of the vote. The district is rated as lean Republican, as the percentage share of votes that Republicans have achieved the past elections has continuously declined. We believe that Elaine has a good chance at flipping the district, which is highly populated by members of the Department of Defense.
- Feminist Majority
- EMILY's List
- End Citizens United
- 314 Action Fund
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Giffords PAC
- International Union of Operating Engineers
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees