Dean Phillips, a businessman, is running for the U.S. House to represent the state of Minnesota in the 3rd district. He is running against one other candidate in the Democratic primary on August 14. If he wins, he will face the Republican incumbent Erik Paulsen, who is running unopposed. The general elections will be held on November 6.
Background and Achievements
Dean Phillips was raised in Minnesota and received his undergraduate degree from Brown University. Following college, he joined several different start-up businesses, where he gained experience in a variety of fields. He pursued his Master of Business Administration at the University of Minnesota. He was the CEO of Phillips Distilling Company, and then helped Talenti become a best-selling ice cream. Now, he is the owner of Penny’s Coffee in the Twin Cities. Community service is a large part of his life, and he intends to bring this passion to Washington if elected.
Positions on Key Issues
- Supports campaign finance reform
- Advocates for affordable healthcare
- Supports high quality public education
- Advocates for women’s reproductive rights
- Advocates for the reduction of carbon emissions and a focus on clean energy
- Supports common sense gun laws
- Advocates for equal pay for equal work
- Supports paid leave coverage
Prospects & Opponents
Dean Phillips is running against one other Democratic candidate in the primary elections on August 14. Phillips has significantly out-raised the other Democratic candidates, and he looks to be a strong front-runner in the Democratic primary. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has added him to their Red to Blue list, as he has a real chance to flip this Republican seat. He will be facing the incumbent Erik Paulsen in the general elections, who was first elected to Congress in 2008. This race is rated a toss-up by the Cook Political Report.
- Feminist Majority
- Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL)
- NARAL Pro-Choice America
- League of Conservation Voters Action Fund
- Our Revolution MN