Maria Cantwell (D) is running for re-election for Senate in Washington state.
Cantwell's Positions on Key Issues:
- Cantwell is 100% pro-choice and has been a reliable vote on reproductive rights and family planning issues.
- Committed to pay equity and women's rights issues.
- Strong proponent of health care reform and environmental protections.
- Elected to the U. S. Senate in 2000, defeating incumbent Slade Gorton (R); she won re-election handily in 2006 by a margin of 16 points.
- Elected to the state legislature at age 28 (1987-1992)
- Served as a member of Congress from 1992 to 1994, the first Democrat in the 1st District in 40 years.
- Started her own business as a young woman and after her first House term ended in the Republican sweep of 1994 she became a top executive of the high-tech company RealNetworks from 1995 to 2000.
Other Endorsements: Emily’s List, Women’s Campaign Forum